I may be 19 years old, but that does not mean I'm not already thinking about marriage and how to be a good housewife, or wife period. I'm a little traditional in that sense. I desire to give myself over to my husband and wait on him hand and foot, as long as he reciprocates with love, affection, and appreciation. I have so much in me that wants to cook well, clean regularly, and be the poster model for an awesome wife. I already sense myself desiring to put this into practice in my upcoming dating relationship(s). So I may be pushing the envelope a little too much right now, but these thoughts... must be released, I tell you!
So it may be kind of nerdy but I wanted to get a good idea of what things I needed to start working on in my everyday life in order to train myself to be ready for marriage. Now, I most certainly understand that many many things come with time and the seasoning of life, so I can't learn everything now. However, I feel like I can most certainly try to prepare myself now, and if anything it will only make me a better person. So below I'm going to list several of the things I think will send me on my way to becoming a good wife.
-Asking my future spouse or boyfriend to come, "What are your expectations of me, sweetie? What do you want me to do around the house? What will make you happy?"
-Keeping my appearance looking good. I feel this will come later when we have children. Keeping myself groomed (legs, armpits, hair, clothes, make up, etc.)
-Cooking. Experiment! Learn to be a better baker and chef! Explore the possibilities that lie within the culinary realm. Don't be lazy with microwave crap.
-Mindful of his needs and space. Don't be obsessive. Don't worry about him too much if he comes home and is in a bad mood. I mean I understand there will be many things that I need to pay attention to, but I want to be an accomodating wife who doesn't get on his nerves. I foresee myself having the house clean, wearing something sexy, and having his favorite ice cold beer or cocktail ready.
-Listen! Listen! Listen! Don't be a rude interrupter. (Think Jake&Vienna from the Bachelor) Homegirl can't keep her mouth shut. I can see how that would drive a man up the wall, especially when men need to be heard.
-Sex. Sex within the parameters of marriage is SOOO important. It keeps the flame alive. Love isn't all mushy gushy and an emotional drive all the time, but I understand that keeping that spark lit is super important. I also understand it shifts as time goes on and as we get older, but all the same it's super necessary!
-Don't try to change him. Trying to change a man is probably one of the most annoying things to him, like EVER. I hate it when people try to change me, so what makes me think he wants to be changed? I realize this will probably be a hard feat, but if I go into relationships and my marriage with this mindset then I hope I can be an understanding, diplomatic (when need be) wife.
-Let him control the manly things. Give him control of things. Let him be the pioneer when it comes to stuff that is up his alley. I'm sure this will differ with the men I date in the future and the man I marry.
-CLEAN! I like cleaning, really I do. I learned when I lived on my own that cleaning a little bit at a time and bi weekly really helps the load. I like clean, orderly spaces, so this will probably be something I typically stay on top of.
-Respect his friends. Give them an amiably hard time. But never flirt with them or cross lines that may make my husband feel uncomfortable.
-Be a time manager and money budgeter. I already do these types of things. I try to keep a budget-ish and I save monthly. I see this as being a good investment in my financial future with my husband.
-The little things. Know my husband well. Study him. Be mindful of what he likes, what makes him tick, what he doesn't like, etc. Cater to these things.
-GIVE, GIVE, GIVE. Be a good gift giver. Randomly. On special occasions. Whenever. Don't over do it, but make him feel wanted, needed, and valued from time to time.
I realize all of these things are very idealistic and that it will be hard to maintain all of these things all the time, but I want to always be working on them, because I want a super happy, blessed marriage.
Writing this is more for me to refer back to later and see what kinds of things I learn along the way as I continue to date people and potentially marry the man of my dreams. (Fingers crossed!)

No comments:
Post a Comment